Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Outbound: On the plane to Paris (first leg)

am sitting on my Boeing 767 on the JFK tarmac. I almost didn't make it. 

I left the office at 2pm, which seemed like a reasonable amount of leeway for a 5:15pm flight. Unfortunately, my E train sat in the tunnel approaching the 65th street station for about an hour. We got frequent updates about an "injured customer" on the local track, and that, evidently, the police and fire departments had asked the MTA to shut down power to both the local and express tracks. Every five minutes we would receive updates with exactly the same information. After an exceedingly long and frustrating period, we were informed the power had been restored. 

Aside: Sounds like a jumper right? If they shut down the power to two tracks, then the 
"customer" would have to have been on the actual tracks. So it was probably more of a cleanup job than anything. Hard to imagine why anybody would ever choose that as their method of departure. Not only would the end require precise timing and have a high risk of serious injury without death, but it's just kinda gross. I would hate to spend my last moments lying in whatever nastiness is on the subway track. 

I hustled to the airport, arrived at approximately 4:20pm, found a check in terminal and entered my info. The terminal informed me that the check in period "was closed" and that I should find customer assistance. Customer assistance informed me that I was too late and would have to find another flight. I voiced my frustration, was told there was nothing that could be done, and then promptly, 30 seconds later, was told that they'd let me through. I made a beeline to security, hustled to my gate and made it with time to spare. 

A flight attendant, for the first time ever, asked me to put my bag in one of those incredibly tiny bag sizers, which naturally was absurdly small. They insisted I check it, which is annoying. I'd say there's a 50% chance it makes it to Frankfurt successfully. 

My flight is one of those hodgepodge code shares. All the pre-flight e-mails came from British Airways, which is handling both legs of my return trip. The initial flight to Europe starts with a Finnair operated by American Airlines flight to Paris, and then an Air France flight to Frankfurt.

Oh great, I am on one of those international flights that lacks the screens on the back of each seat. Can't wait to see the movies they play. 

Aside: I just finished watching Winter's Tale, which greatly exceeded my expectations in awfulness. Lots of unsupported commentary about miracles and how "we are all connected" and such. This movie has Colin Farrell rescued by a magic white horse, 8 MINUTES INTO THE FILM! Honestly one of the most over-the-top schmaltzy train wrecks I've ever seen. Highly recommended in the right company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment