Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 3: Bayreuth

Finally had a non-sausage dinner last night. I got a schweineschnitzel at a popular restuarant on the Maximillianstrasse. Decent, but I would have preferred sausage.

I am currently sitting at the Goldener Lowe, a restaurant recommended to me by a local Jugen Freunde as the best in town. Michelin also seems to have granted it a bib gourmand. 

The menu unfortunately is entirely German, which is a little difficult. I ordered the schweinehaxenfleich, which may or may not be a pork shoulder. I figured, when in doubt, order anything with schweine and fleich. 

Itinerary today will take me to the Maisel Brewery, the old baroque opera house and the resting place of Meister Wagner (and to a lesser extent, Meister Lizst). 

iPad at 13%, iPhone at 8%. It's Monday, so I will hopefully be able to purchase a charger. Hopefully for less than $40 euros. 

A salad has been brought to my table. I will assume this merely comes with my pork shoulder, and is not in fact what I thought was pork shoulder. 

And here it is. Gloriously crispy pig skin on top of tender pork flesh, grilled chanterelles and a huge mound of fried stuffing, all sitting in a pool of gravy. This is exactly what I was hoping schweinhaxenfleisch would turn out to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment